For Mushers Interested in Running the 2020 Yukon Quest
Mushers must have demonstrated ability to complete a long distance sled dog race. Rookie mushers must complete a 300 mile YQI sanctioned race and one other YQI sanctioned race of at least 200 miles (500 miles minimum).
Qualifying races must be completed within 42 months of the start of the Yukon Quest race.
• Musher Assessment Forms must be completed for both qualifiers, and submitted with entry. If qualifier is run between August 3, 2019 and January 25, 2020, the musher assessment form is due within 10 days of running the qualifying race. Musher Assessment Forms for all qualifiers are required for the 2020 race.
• Iditarod Finishers are qualified to enter the Yukon Quest.
• YQI may deem that previous or other racing experience is considered equivalent to one or both of the qualifiers. Mushers applying for this consideration must do so in writing by November 29, 2019.
NOTE: No race allowing outside assistance (optional or otherwise) will be approved or accepted as a qualifier for the 2020 Yukon Quest.
• All applicants will have their applications to enter the Yukon Quest reviewed by the YQI Rules Committee.
• YQI will honor censures from the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Censures from other sled dog racing organizations may be honored. Entry will not be accepted until unpaid fines and bills to YQI are paid.
• No one convicted of animal abuse or neglect may enter the Yukon Quest.
Qualifiers must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Must be eligible distance (200 miles or more, OR 300 miles or more for 300 qualifiers)
- Must be a continuous-run race (stage races do not qualify)
- Must have a written set of Rules.
- Must have a Race Marshal overseeing the rules and the conduct of the race.
- Must have a Vet Program to ensure good canine care.
- Must support independent travel (no outside assistance allowed)
It is suggested that all races honor YQ censures.
NEW for 2020:
• Musher Assessment Forms must be completed for both qualifiers and submitted with entry. If the qualifier is run between August 3, 2019 and January 25, 2020, the musher assessment form is due within 10 days of running the qualifying race
• Musher Assessment Forms for all qualifiers will be required for the 2020 race.
The following races are sanctioned qualifiers for the 2020 Yukon Quest
Qualifier status is subject to change depending on the outcome of each race or any changes for the 2019/2020 season.
Races qualifying as 200 miles Miles Location
British Columbia, Canada
EAGLE CAP 200200MOregon, USA
HUDSON BAY QUEST250MManitoba, Canada
KNIK 200200MAlaska, USA
PERCY De WOLFE MEMORIAL MAIL RACE210MYukon, Canada / Alaska, USA
TUSTUMENA 200200MAlaska, USA
TWO RIVERS 200200MAlaska, USA
TOBACCO TRAIL 325K200MSweden
Races qualifying as 300 miles Miles Location
CANADIAN CHALLENGE (run as a Yukon Quest qualifier)300MSaskatchewan, Canada
COPPER BASIN 300300MAlaska, USA
IDITAROD TRAIL SLED DOG RACE300M of Alaska, USA
KOBUK 440440MAlaska, USA
KUSKOKWIM 300300MAlaska, USA
WILLOW 300300MAlaska, USA
YQ300300MAlaska, USA / Yukon, Canada
IDAHO SLED DOG CHALLENGE300MIdaho, USA
Please note: Races allowing outside assistance (optional or not) are no longer approved or accepted as qualifiers for the Yukon Quest.
SLED DOG RACE ORGANIZER
If you are the organizer of a sled dog race that is interested in applying to become an Official Qualifier of the Yukon Quest, please see the Application Process.