It was a capacity crowd at the Yukon Convention Centre for the Yukon Quest Start & Draw Banquet Thursday.
Mushers, handlers, officials, and fans enjoyed local entertainment, dinner and a silent auction before the main event – the bib draw.
Dawson City’s Brian Wilmshurst was the 11th musher on stage and he drew bib #1 much to the delight of the crowd. That means Wilmshurst will be the first musher to leave the start line Saturday. Carcross musher Crispin Studer was the 26th and last musher to draw a bib, and ended up with bib #26 – sponsored by the Yukon Quest’s Facebook fans.
Four-time champion Lance Mackey drew bib #6 and said, “I’ll take it. Number six has been good to me before.”
Mackey said six is the number he wore in 2006, when he won his second Yukon Quest.
Here is the complete starting order, with bib sponsor:
- Brian Wilmshurst – Arctic Tulip Bookkeeping
- Markus Ingebretsen – Braeburn Lodge
- Rob Cooke – Jerry Van Dyke’s Tours
- Hugh Neff – Canadas Best Value Inn
- Cody Strathe – Canada Flooring Enterprises
- Lance Mackey – Duffy’s Pets & Tanzilla Harness
- Normand Casavant – Nature Tours of Yukon
- Kelley Griffin – Summit Customs Brokers
- Randy MacKenzie – Candy’s Fruit Stand
- Susan Rogan – Bear’s Paw Quilts
- Allen Moore – Eldorado Hotel
- Christina Traverse – Northern Tales Travel Services
- Denis Tremblay – Icy Waters Ltd.
- Matthew Failor – Yukon Pump
- Dan Kaduce – Irving Collision Repairs
- Misha Pedersen –Klondike Rib & Salmon
- Abbie West – Liberty Tax Services
- Brent Sass – Builders Supplyland
- Dyan Bergen – All-West Glass Whitehorse Ltd.
- Jake Berkowitz – Super Save Propane & Fencing
- Dave Dalton – Yukon Denture Clinic
- Ed Abrahamson – Canadian Tire
- Scott Smith – EBA Engineering
- Darrin Lee – AFA Forest Products
- Ed Hopkins – Airport Chalet Hotel
- Crispin Studer – Fabulous Facebook Fans
The 2013 Yukon Quest starts at 11 am on Saturday, February 2nd in Whitehorse, Yukon.