The Yukon Quest and The Yukon Literacy Coalition are once again very excited to work together to bring The Yukon Quest (Short) Story Contest back! It was such a success in the past that we’ve decided to do it all over again. Here are some of our guidelines;
• Two age categories (gr.1-3 and gr. 4-7) will take part in a short story contest (maximum 700 words) based around The Yukon Quest 1,000 Mile International Sled Dog Race.
• Judges will be from the Yukon Literacy Coalition and will award one winner and one runner up in each category.
• Each story should have attached the author’s name, school, age, grade, and home contact information.
Stories can be entered via the following 3 methods;
1. Email to Yukon.email@example.com
2. Snail Mail to:
Yukon Quest Story Competition
Yukon Literacy Coalition
100 Main Street, Suite #207
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2A8
3. Drop Off in Person at The Family Literacy Centre
(2nd Floor of Canada Games Centre) or
Yukon Literacy Coalition Office
Upstairs in Horwood’s Mall, suite #207.
The deadline for all stories will be Tues. Feb 20th, 2018 (Winners will be announced on Feb. 27th, 2018)
• Winning stories will be featured on CBC with an opportunity for the children to read on-air.
• The winning stories will be framed and featured at the Yukon Quest office.
• The winners will each receive a special Yukon Quest ‘Gift Bag’ including a 2018 collectible Yukon Quest t-shirt and poster among other Yukon Quest swag (value ~$150. each). Runners up will receive a Yukon Quest t-shirt.
• All participating classrooms are entitled to an official 2018 Yukon Quest poster and trail map. Teachers can contact the Yukon Quest office to arrange early pick-up so they can be hung in your classroom all year.
Our hope is that teachers from these grades will build elements of the Yukon Quest Race and its history into their curriculum, and we in turn can help support an exciting event in which the students play a key part. The Yukon Quest has a great Education Program created by local Yukon educator Cathi Dunham that teachers can also pull from for curricular ideas (http://www.yukonquest.com/about/education-program).
For any further information please contact the Yukon Literacy Coalition at 668-6535 or explore the Yukon Quest website at: http://www.yukonquest.com
Thank you ~ and may the writing begin!!