The Yukon Quest and The Yukon Literacy Coalition are really excited to bring A (Short) Story Contest back for a second year! It was such a success last year that we’ve decided to do it all over again, this time with a few adjustments.
- Two age categories (gr.1-3 and gr. 4-6).
- The younger category will take part in a drawing contest, to illustrate their choice of one of the two winning stories from last year (2012-13). They need to create a minimum of three drawings to illustrate the story.
- The older category will take part in a short story contest (500-700 words) based around The Yukon Quest.
- Judges from the Quest office and the Literacy Coalition office will award one winner in each category.
- Top selected stories will be featured on CBC with an opportunity for the children to read on-air. We also hope to have them published in The Yukon News.
- The winners will each receive three tickets to the Quest Finish and Awards Banquet and a chance to meet the mushers.
Our hope is that teachers from these grades will use elements of the Quest and its history as part of their curriculum and we in turn can help build an exciting event that the students can feel a part of.
The deadline for stories and pictures will be January 30th.
If there are any questions, please phone The Yukon Literacy Coalition at 668-6535.