This section is a guide to the required forms and documents for registered mushers.
Please review the Forms Checklist carefully for deadlines and submission information.
For your convenience, you may choose to print the package in its entirety or select individual sections or topics.
2019 Food Drop Inventory Form
Other Info Documents
2019 updates to the trail will be emailed near race time after the trail breakers have seen the conditions.
Messages to Mushers
Once signed up, don't forget to check your profile page for Messages to Mushers submitted by your fans!
For any questions regarding the Yukon Quest or any of these documents, please contact:
Alaska – Fairbanks Office
Phone: (907) 452-7954
Yukon – Whitehorse Office
Phone: (867) 668-4711
Yukon Quest International would like to welcome all rookies taking up the challenge of running our 1,000 mile race!
Please find below all the necessary information, tips, and advice you will need to prepare and plan your adventure on the Yukon Quest trail.
Should there be any missing information, or should you have further questions, please feel free to contact one of our offices (see contact details below).
Please view Tips from Veterans (230Kb PDF) for more advice!
Audio Files from the 2017 Workshop (held November 2016)
- Executive Director, Marti Steury: Welcome and Introductions
- Race Marshal, Fabian Schmitz; Rules Committee Member, Eric Buetow: 2017 Rules
- Mike Ellis: Dog Care
- John Schandelmeier: Training
- Andy and Kristen Pace: Rookie Run
- Alaska Trail Coordinator, Mike Reitz: The YQ Trail
- Hugh Neff - Food Drop
Audio Files from the 2016 Workshop (held November 2015)
- Doug Grilliot, Race Marshal: Race Procedures, Checkpoints, Dog Drops, and Hospitality Stops
- Kristin Pace: Rookie Run
- Andrew Pace: Handlers
- Cristina Hansen, Head Veterinarian, DVM, PhD: Dog Care and Trail Procedures
- Brent Sass, 2015 Champion: Food Drop and Training Tips
- Mike Reitz, AK Trail Coordinator: Trail
Audio Files from the 2015 Workshop (held October 2014)
- Yukon Quest Staff and Contractors: Welcome and Introductions
- Race Marshal Doug Grilliot: SPOT and Safety
- Race Manager Alex Oleson: Checkpoints, Dog Drops, and Hospitality Stops
- Rob Cooke: Rookie Run
- Josh Horst: Handlers
- Head Vet Dr. Cristina "Nina" Hansen: Vet Team, Dog Care, and Trail Procedures
- Allen Moore: Training
- Aliy Zirkle: Food Drop
- John Schandelmeier: Trail
Audio Files from the 2014 Workshop (held October 2013)
- Marti Steury: Welcome and Introductions
- Rob Cooke: The Rookie Run
- Paige Drobny: Preparing for Food Drops
- Mike Ellis: What to Expect on the Trail
- Cristina "Nina" Hansen, DVM: Vet Team & Trail Procedures
- Doug Grilliot: Handlers
- Bob McAlpin: Head, Body, and Trail Troubles
- Allen Moore: Training
- Jodi Bailey: Dog Care
Audio Files from the 2013 Workshop (held October 2012)
- 2013 Race Marshal Doug Grilliot - Trail Procedure, Rules and Advice
- Alex Olesen - 2013 Race Manager Introduction
- Allen Moore & Aliy Zirkle - Checkpoints and Handlers in the YQ
- Christina Hansen DVM - Vet Tips & Vet Trail Procedure
- Gerry Willomitzer - Packing Dropbags for the Quest
- Gerry's Excel Worksheet (47 Kb PDF)
- Hugh Neff - Training, Diet and the YQ Race
- Mike Ellis - Dog Care on the YQ Trail
- Mike Ellis - Trail Description and Trail Advice
Audio Files from the 2012 Rookie Workshop (held October 2011)
The event took place Saturday, October 8th 2011 at the Carlson Center during the "Go Winter! Expo". Audio files from the workshop are now posted so everyone can benefit from the presentations.
- Mike Ellis: Trail Discussion
- Lance Mackey: Dog Care and Attitude
- Brent Sass: Musher Physical and Mental Health on the Trail
- Ken Anderson: Uncommon Trail Situations
- Hugh Neff: Training for 1,000 miles
- Abbie West: Food Drop
- Jodi Bailey: Advice for Rookies
- Jodi Bailey: Handlers and More
- Tamara Rose: Vet Care
Audio Files from the 2011 Rookie Workshop (held in October 8th 2010)
- Abbie West: Advice from a Yukon Quest rookie run
- Brent Sass: A mushers physical health on the trail
- Gerry Willomitzer: Drop bags and how to pack them
- Josh Cadzow: Dog care on the Yukon Quest trail and during training
- Ken Anderson: The Yukon Quest trail
- Lance Mackey: The trail and mental stability
- Mike Ellis: Training and conditioning a long distance sled dog team
- Sonny Lindner: Handlers and their importance
- Vet procedure along the trail: DVM Eastman
Audio files from the 2010 Rookies Meeting
- Gerry Willomitzer: Drop bags, provisions and handler issues
- Mike Ellis: Yukon Quest Trail Description Fairbanks to Whitehorse
- Becca Moore and Mike Ellis: How to run the YQ as a rookie?
- Sebastian Schnuelle:Training and conditioning for a 1000 mile race
*Please note: the information being presented above is “informational” and not the official interpretation of rules, trails, officials, personnel or anything else*